Friday, August 18, 2006

Flinders: The Classes

Well I am doing the normal full-time load: four classes.
ENGL1004: Writing Nation: Australian Writing for Contemporary Audiences
ENGL1008: Fictions and Transformations
HIST1802: Europe, 1945 to the Present
HIST1704: History's Killing Fields

I was doing DVST1002: Culture, Power and Change in International Development but changed out of it so I could fulfill my English/History majors requirements. Plus I really had no idea what it was meant to be about and when I found out didn't want to do it anyway. So yeah. Moving on.

Lectures are much bigger (obviously), about on a par with the main law units at CDU I'd say. Tuts are about the same, but everyone is pretty young. There's always that one annoying old person - in my case a bloke who is in ALL my classes and drives me crazy cos he thinks he's god's gift to Flinders.

The lecturers are much more organised and mmm distant? Maybe not the right word. We have two lectures each week for history and they turn up, talk for 50 mins, thank you, the end, dismissed. They often show film clips in the lectures: in Darwin if we ever watched something it was such a big production, but here it's like 'talk talk talk - show a short clip - talk talk - have a look at this - talk talk - thank you, goodbye.'

The assessment is basically the same structure: tutorial presentations, tut essays, major essay, give or take an exam or a collection of worksheets. And seriously? Who writes 500 words these days? Maybe when I was in year 7...

We have to read A LOT of books for english. Well duh, it's english, but still. And maybe one of them I would have read outside uni/have read. Expanding your horizons is where it's at.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Home      About Me      Categories      Blogroll      Buttons      Email Me