Friday, January 09, 2009

Road Rules

I am back. Our Great Ocean Road Trip was extremely fun, and I am currently trying to figure out the best way to tell you alllll about it. Thank you for continuing to comment, even as I was reduced to a camera-phone photo post a day. Also, you all continued to post, which meant that this morning I had 962 unread posts. I am getting through them slowly, and when I get down to 0 I'll start actually visiting and commenting. But it was good to hear about great holidays all round.

A while ago now, we got a lesson in freeway driving, which featured the proper response to someone who lets you into a lane. Said response being, as we all know (right?), a wave or simple lifting of a couple of fingers (the nice ones).

An off-shoot of this rule was not included in the lesson per se, but I feel it was implied and therefore am totally perplexed as to its non-application on our recent travels: if you're driving on a highway out in the country and you pass a car coming the other way, you show them the same courtesy of a raised hand. They will simultaneously be giving you a finger or two (again, in the nicest way possible).

Now, maybe this is more an NT thing, where everything is a little more laid-back and more rural and more long lonely highway and less crazy urban commuter freeway. I don't know. BUT STILL. Someone waves to you, you wave back. And YOU SHOULD BE WAVING ANYWAY. It's only polite.

Full disclosure: About the time I had given up on the goodness of humanity and refused to wave anymore, I was waved to and waved back but not in time. I still feel bad that this person remained unwaved to. After all, I was probably the only person ever who would've waved, and even I didn't. Poor bloke.

On the other hand, I like to think that I improved the days of all those people I waved to. And that they were all inspired to wave to the next car they passed. Oh yes, I am bringing it back.

2 comments:

  1. you said "bloke."
    also, i'm waving at you right now. can you see me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I SO understand. When I drove from Mataranka to Elliott and back again in the same day (yes, during daylight hours - 600kms) everyone who was on the road waved regardless. Possibly because there was nothing but kangaroo carcasses by the side of the road and endless red dirt interspersed with cow carcasses to see. Anyhoo, compare that with the 280km trip between Darwin and Katherine with NO-ONE waving back, and I'd take the friendly desert any day.

    *sigh* City people are so incredibly rude!

    ReplyDelete

Home      About Me      Categories      Blogroll      Buttons      Email Me